Hawes & Curtis was founded by two accomplished outfitters, Ralph Hawes and George Frederick Curtis, who opened the first store at 24 Piccadilly Arcade in February 1913. From the beginning the heritage brand has been acclaimed by aristocracy and Hollywood's elite. Notable customers have included the Duke of Windsor, Cary Grant, Clark Gable, Bing Crosby, Lord Mountbatten, Frank Sinatra and Fred Astaire.
Among the Jermyn Street outfitters, Hawes & Curtis is known for having introduced the backless evening waistcoat. It was an innovation of the ‘dress soft’ era popularised by the Duke of Windsor. The waistcoat was designed without a back and held in place by means of bands, fastened with a buckle or button across the back at the waistline. When worn the waistcoat always remained in position under the tailcoat and was renowned for its comfort. Fred Astaire allegedly approached Hawes & Curtis to have one made of his very own, only to be regretfully refused due to the high demand for such garments from the British aristocracy.
According to the Review of Savile Row Tailors, by the 1930s, “Mr. Curtis was an authority in evening dress and had done more to keep shirts from bulging out of up-creeping waistcoats than any other young man in London. Evening shirts and waistcoats were made on scientific mathematical lines – yet were chic withal.” During this time Hawes & Curtis also produced suits and overcoats.
Within 21 years, Hawes & Curtis acquired seven shops situated on Jermyn Street and the Piccadilly Arcade with 12,000 regular account customers.
On the 12th of July 1938, King George VI awarded ‘Hawes & Curtis Limited Shirtmakers and Hosiers’ a second Royal Warrant. This warrant lasted throughout the King’s reign.
On the 1st of May 1948, Hawes & Curtis received a third Royal Warrant appointed by King George VI.
In 1957, the Duke of Edinburgh awarded Hawes & Curtis with a fourth Royal Warrant which remained until 1985.
Award-winning businessman and entrepreneur, Touker Suleyman, bought Hawes & Curtis for £1 and has subsequently transformed it into a globally renowned and multichannel business. The ever increasing demand for quality clothing required that Hawes & Curtis expanded from a single shop in the Piccadilly Arcade in 1913 to a chain of more than 25 shops in the United Kingdom.
In 2006 Hawes & Curtis launched its website, offering entire collections to a global audience and bringing Jermyn Street to the world.
Today Hawes & Curtis is famous for its quintessentially British menswear and womenswear ranges. With over 100 years of heritage, Hawes & Curtis has a distinguished British past and a promising international future. The brand currently has more than 20 stores in the UK and the flagship store remains in the heart of London on Jermyn Street, famous for its resident shirtmakers. It has also launched German, Australian and American websites. Thanks to its rapid international expansion and prominent online presence, Hawes & Curtis is an internationally recognised brand attracting customers from around the world.